World Association for Political Economy
WAPE  No.12
Distinguished Achievement Award of
World Political Economy of the 21st Century
Chapter I General Provisions
Article 1. The Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century, established by the World Association for Political Economy (WAPE), is intended to promote research in modern political economy around the world by granting the award to economists of different countries in the world who have made important innovations in theory and methodology of political economy since the year of 2001.
Article 2. This Appraisal Charter is especially designed to ensure the objectivity and justice of the “Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century”.
Article 3. The evaluation process of the Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century will observe the principle of fairness, openness and justice, strictly abide by the regulations of the Appraisal Charter and keep the evaluation independent from improper intervention by any organization or individual contrary to the Appraisal Charter.
Article 4. The WAPE Secretariat is in charge of organizing the application, evaluation and presentation of the award as well as other relevant procedures.
Chapter II The Award and Evaluation Criteria
Article 5. The Award
The Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century is an annual award that is granted annually starting from the year of 2009.
Article 6. Recipients of the Award
The Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century is intended to award academic achievements (articles or books) which have been published since the year of 2001 and have made important innovations in the theory and methodology of political economy.
Article 7. Forms of the Award
Trophy and certificate of honors
Article 8. Maximum Number of Achievements to be Included as Basis of the Award
No more than ten academic achievements (published articles or books) are to be included in the nomination.
Article 9. The Evaluation Criteria
The Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century is awarded to authors of articles or books in different languages that have been published since the year of 2001, that have made important innovations in theoretical research of political economy and have made important improvements in the methodology of political economy.
Chapter III Appraisal Committee
Article 10. The WAPE Secretariat organizes the establishment of the Appraisal Committee of the Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century.
Article 11. Qualifications of the members of the Appraisal Committee.
- Scholars who have long been engaged in the research of economic theories, policies and methodology, and
- Who take the lead and are well known in their specific research fields in the world.
Article 12. Members of the Appraisal Committee are nominated by the president of WAPE and approved by the vice presidents of WAPE. The standard term for appraisal committee members is three years.
Article 13. With the authorization of the Appraisal Committee, the WAPE Secretariat has the following responsibilities in the process of evaluation:
- Organizing activities including nomination applications and recommendation of scholarly achievement, investigation and verification of the qualifications of the nominees, preliminary evaluation by Appraisal Committee, final evaluation by the Council of WAPE and the presentation of the awards.
- Dealing with all kinds of relevant inquiries and complaints.
Chapter IV Nominations and Recommendation
Article 14. Individuals can nominate themselves for the Award or be nominated by others.
Article 15. Nominations for this year will be dealt with by the WAPE Secretariat from the very date of the announcement of the Appraisal Charter.
Article 16. Submission of nominations can begin with the closing date of the current WAPE forum and end two months before the opening date of next WAPE forum.
Article 17. A nomination forms has to be submitted for each nominee along with a WAPE membership forms if the nominee is not already a member. The nomination form for the Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century and WAPE membership form can be downloaded from www.WAPE2006.org. The forms should be sent to the WAPE Secretariat with one original copy of the nominee’s achievements. The postal address of the WAPE Secretariat is:
Xiaoqin Ding (Allen Ding)
Marxism Research Institute
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
777 Guoding Rd., Shanghai 200433
- R. China
Chapter V Evaluation Process
Article 18. Verification of the nominee’s qualifications
- Nomination forms and the published articles or books of the applicants will be first verified by the WAPE Secretariat based on the Evaluation Criteria.
- Nomination forms and description of the achievements of qualified nominees will be then submitted by the WAPE Secretariat to the Appraisal Committee for preliminary evaluation.
Article 19. Preliminary evaluation by the Appraisal Committee
- Appraisal Committee members should carefully review the nomination forms and published articles or books of the qualified nominees and make full comparison of their scholarly contributions based on the principle of objectiveness and fairness.
- Appraisal Committee members will score and sequence all the scholarly achievements of qualified nominees based on the Evaluation Criteria. Full score is 100 and shortlisted candidates must be scored over 80.
- Academic achievements of shortlisted candidates should not exceed 10.
Scoring Criteria of the Distinguished Achievement Award
of World Political Economy of the 21st Century
|Evaluation Items||Scoring intervals|
Article 20. Final evaluation by the Council of WAPE
- The Council of WAPE will make final evaluation of the academic achievements of shortlisted candidates by voting. Only those who receive the votes of at least half of the Council members present can be confirmed as final award winners.
- Final award winners are requested to attend the granting ceremony of the Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century which will be held at the opening ceremony of the current WAPE forum and present a keynote speech. Failure to do so will be regarded as waiver of the Award.
Chapter VI Award Presentation
Article 21. The WAPE Secretariat will announce the result of the final evaluation and expound the awarding reasons at the granting ceremony.
Chapter VII Supplementary Article
Article 22. This Appraisal Charter will be implemented from 2009 and subject to subsequent revision.
The World Association for Political Economy